Department of Biotechnology
Vision: Availability of Biotechnological studies and research to improve the living conditions of mankind and the environment.
Mission: Education and training opportunities for students such that they get mastery in biotechnological skills.
The following are the activities conducted by and participated in by the Department:
- On-job-training programme: Students undertake one month training during vacations at pathological laboratories, pharmaceuticals or research institutes.
- Industrial visit: Brewery, food processing units and effluent treatment plant.
- Field trip: ICAR-CCARI -Old Goa, CSIR-NIO- Dona Paula, Environmental walk.
- Study Tour and training workshop at ‘BioEra Life Science Research Facility, Pune.
- Department newsletter: ‘Sequence –unravel yourself’.
- Talk by Guest speakers/Specialist in the field of Biotechnology.
- Winners at ‘Chiasma 7.0’- an intercollegiate event organised by Dhempe College of Arts & Science, Miramar.
Career opportunities in Biotechnology exist in the areas of molecular biology, genetics, biochemistry, drug discovery, immunology, clinical research, plant and animal biotechnology. Potential careers opportunities include :
- Project Assistants/Junior Research fellows after an M.Sc.
- QA/QC departments in pharmaceutical companies, food processing units, breweries and distilleries.
- Self-employment through entrepreneurship.
- Medical lab technologists in laboratories and hospitals.
- Research assistants in R and D of pharmaceuticals after an M.Sc.
- Lecturers in Colleges and Universities after an M.Sc/Ph.D.
- In Plant Tissue Culture and Animal Tissue Culture labs and industries.
Ms. Jocelyn Fernandes (Course-Co-ordinator)
Mr. Joel Coutinho
Ms. Anjelica Mathias
Ms. Anabel Alphonso
Ms. Jenica Rangel e Pereira