CODE OF ETHICS
This Code of Ethics shall apply to the faculty and students of St. Xavier’s College, Mapusa Goa with effect from 1st January 2018.
It shall apply to all Dissertations, Project Reports and Research Papers / Articles based thereon which are submitted, by the faculty and/or Undergraduate / Postgraduate students, to the Institution’s Research Journals or elsewhere.
Words and expressions herein appearing shall have the definitions/meanings assigned to them in relevant enactments/regulations/ guidelines framed/promulgated by statutory bodies viz. UGC. Goa University as from time to time amended.
1. In his / her Dissertation, Project Report and/or Research Article, every Faculty Member/Student shall:
a. Responsibly conduct research by following all statutory and ethical norms;
b. Desist from indulging in plagiarism viz. the practice of taking someone else’s work or idea and passing them as one’s own;
c. Obtain requisite prior permission from the cited author/publisher, wherever necessary;
d. Properly attribute and acknowledge the source of information in a manner consistent and compatible with the needs and specifications of the respective discipline and in accordance with the rules, regulations and conventions governing the source;
e. Ensure that manuscripts are checked for originality using “Plagiarism Checker X” which is available at the College Library;
f. While submitting a dissertation or project report, also submit an Undertaking specifying that the same has been prepared by him/her and that it is original work which is free from plagiarism. Furthermore, the said Undertaking will also state that the manuscript has been duly checked for plagiarism using “Plagiarism Checker X”.
2. Any faculty member/student found guilty of contravening this Code of Ethics shall, after following the due procedure laid down in this regard, be liable for the appropriate penalties as specified by enactments/regulations/ guidelines for the time being in force.
CODE OF CONDUCT FOR TEACHERS
The Code of Conduct as enacted in the statutes of Goa University are applicable to the faculty members of St. Xavier’s College. Details of the same are as follows:
Extract from: Goa University Statute No. SC -5 applicable to the Colleges
SC-5 (xx) Code of Conduct
(a) A teacher shall carry out the legitimate academic and administrative decisions taken by the authorities of the college/University pertaining to his/her sphere of responsibility/duties.
(b) A teacher shall not discriminate against a student on political grounds for reasons of race, religion, caste, language or sex or for other reason of an arbitrary or personal nature and shall not incite students/teachers against other students or other teachers, colleagues or administration/Governing body of the college.
(c) A teacher shall not remain absent from duty without proper sanction of leave in case of emergency.
(d) A teacher shall desist/refrain from indulging in unscientific publication which would prove to be detrimental to the reputation and the progress of the college/University.
(e) A teacher may be permitted to take up consultancy under terms and conditions as outlined in the ordinance O.7 as amended from time to time. However, he shall not conduct individually or participate in conducting jointly with others coaching classes directly or indirectly. He/she shall not give any private tuition.
(f) A teacher shall perform his/her academic duties and work related to examinations as assigned. No remuneration shall be payable to the teachers for internal assessment/home examinations conducted by the college.
(g) A teacher shall have freedom of thought and expressions. He/she shall not misuse the facilities or forum of the college/University.
(h) A teacher shall not make use of the resources and/or facilities of the Department/College/University/ Governing Body for personal, commercial, political or religious purposes.
(i) A teacher shall not be partial in assessment of a student or deliberately over mark, undermark or victimize a student on any grounds.
(j) A teacher shall not indulge in or resort to directly or indirectly any malpractice or unfair means in teaching/examination / administration.
Besides the above, the faculty members and non-teaching staff are also required to adhere to:
1. Ban on Private Tuitions
Members of the faculty shall not engage in the conduct of coaching classes either individually or in groups.
2. Ban on Smoking and Consumption of Alcoholic Drinks
Smoking and consumption of alcoholic drinks within the campus are prohibited.
CODE OF CONDUCT FOR STUDENTS
- All students shall be responsible to the Principal, Vice-Principals, faculty members and other designated persons for their conduct.
- No student shall use unbecoming language or indulge in insubordination and / or violent behaviour.
- No student shall resort to any kind of demonstration on campus.
- No student shall possess, use or circulate pornographic material in any form.
- No student shall cause damage of any kind whatsoever to college property.
- No students shall use cell phones at the campus.
- No students shall resort to ragging at the college campus.
- No students shall smoke or partake of alcoholic drugs at the college campus.
- Every student shall wear his / her identity card while on campus.
- Students shall be punctual in their timings and attendance.
- All students shall strictly adhere to the dress code.