Formation for Transformation
Our Mission Statement
To provide balanced all-round education, with the goal of forming young men and women who will be disciplined citizens and will display a high intellectual calibre as well as emotional balance and social commitment, and particularly, at helping Catholic youth to be committed followers of Christ.
St. Xavier’s College, Mapusa was founded by the Archdiocese of Goa and Daman in 1963. It is managed by the Diocesan Society of Education, an apex body that manages all its educational institutions in Goa.
Completing fifty glorious years of its existence in 2013, the college has kept up its pace with providing quality education. With quality as its hallmark, its motto of ‘In Virtute et Scientia’ (Virtue and Knowledge) and its pursuit for excellence, the institution with the status of ‘College with Potential for Excellence’ has endeavoured to sustain and ensure continuous quality improvement.
Besides Under-Graduate Programmes, it offers Post-Graduate Programmes like M.A.(Psychology), M.Com and M.Sc.(Physical Chemistry).
Thousands of students who have passed through the portals of this institution recall with nostalgia the days spent here, and the salutary impact it has had on their lives.
Popular courses that have received recognition include Computer Science, Computer Applications, Electronics, Biotechnology, Mass Communication and Videography, Journalism, Business Administration, Travel and Tourism.
This we believe
Acquiring a good character and a balanced personality is extensively promoted and hence, St. Xavier’s proudly proclaims to uphold the following creed:
- We believe in God.
- We believe in human dignity and humanity.
- We believe in the spirit of discipline and dignity of human work.
- We believe that men and women are born with equal rights which do not come from the State.
- We believe in the sanctity of the Family – the basic unit of society.
- We believe that the citizens have not only rights but also have duties.
- We believe that the Labour and Capital have not only rights but obligations, and in the fulfillment of their obligations, they will complement each other.
- We are opposed to all kinds of violations of individual liberty and private property.
- We believe that liberty is a sacred thing and the law which regulates liberty, is a sacred obligation.
- We believe that academic freedom should not be used as a pretext to teach systems that destroy all freedom.
- We are vigorously opposed to the tenets and tactics of those who want to destroy the essential liberties guaranteed by the Indian Constitution.
- We are vigorously opposed to all forms of racism, gender discrimination, communal hatred and anarchism.
- We believe in the teachings of Christ. We hold that morality must regulate the personal, familial, economic, political and international life of humanity.
Established at Bastora, Bardez – Goa, with Science and Arts faculties, affiliated to Bombay University
Establishment of the first Herbarium college in Goa.
From Bastora to Mapusa
Shifted to Mapusa
Affiliated to Goa University
Silver Jubilee celebration
Introduction of BComm course
Affiliated with four stars by NAAC
The first college to offer a Postgraduate / Master’s Degree in Psychology under Goa University
Selected as one of the 47 best colleges out of 15000 colleges in India and awarded the status of “College with Potential for Excellence” by UGC.
Secured the first rank in Third Year University Examinations, in all the streams, Arts, Science and Commerce.
The principal of the College, Mr Newman Fernandes awarded the Sam Higginbotham Best Principal in India award
Student Natalia Narang awarded the best NCC cadet in India, Gold Medal, at the hands of Shri Manmohan Singh, Prime Minister of India
The first college to offer a Post Graduate MCom degree
Set up a recording studio
The first college to offer a Post Graduate MSc Degree Program in Chemistry
2005 – 2009
Awarded “Best College Award in Sport” in Goa for 5 consecutive years
Set up TV studio
2009 – 2012
Runners-up for “Best College in Sports” in Goa for 4 consecutive years
Constructed a new block for self-financed subjects
Awarded “Best College Award” by University
Established St. Xavier’s College, Parent Teachers Association (PTA)
Golden Jubilee Celebration
Our Core Values
Believing in God
Upholding Human dignity
Inculcating a sense of patriotism
Fostering Global competencies
Promoting ethical values
Achieving excellence in education